Monday, August 24, 2009

REACHING THE HOMELESS:

. There are many people who reject this glorious gospel because they are too busy or they put other things/people over God or don't think they need him and this makes Jesus very upset.
.
.
Here is a scripture in Matthew 22 which expresses his feelings:
.
1) And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables and said:
2) “The kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who arranged a marriage for his son,
3) and sent out his servants to call those who were invited to the wedding; and they were not willing to come.
4) Again, he sent out other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, “See, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatted cattle are killed, and all things are ready. Come to the wedding."
5) But they made light of it and went their ways, one to his own farm, another to his business.
6) And the rest seized his servants, treated them spitefully, and killed them.
7) But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city.
8) Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy.
.
.
9) Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding.’
10) So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good.
.
Homeless people need Jesus just as much (if not more) as anyone else. Some of these people have been abused physically, sexually or emotionally and left home as young people to live a life of homelessness and only know to take drugs/alcohol, or are given to prostitution to survive. They are crying out asking "is this all there is to life?" There are many of them who die of drug overdoses, beatings or even the elements. These people have a very hard life and know all about rejection. Some of them are so desperate that they commit suicide.
. I can relate to them somewhat as I was in a situation where I had to live in a homeless shelter for 4 months. I was only working temporary jobs which caused me to struggle financially; therefore, I didn't have enough money for rent. Through this experience, I came to realize that these people have a story to tell as to what brought them to their present circumstances.
We need to understand what puts people in their situations they are in so that we will have more compassion for them. .
I know that Jesus can heal all those hurts!!! He is in the healing business. Is not God called the "Balm of Gilead?". . .
.
Some times I feel discouraged,
And think my work’s in vain,
But then the Holy Spirit
Revives my soul again.
.
There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin sick soul. .
If you can’t preach like Peter,
If you can’t pray like Paul,
Just tell the love of Jesus,
And say He died for all.
.
These people have the same desires as you and I. They want to know what love is all about. They are not materialistic as many other people are, some of them know nothing about God and others have had terrible experiences re religion. We need to desperately reach them with the truth and show them the love of God!!!
.
Jesus, who was homeless himself, rubbed shoulders with the publicans and sinners all the time, taught us to show his love and help the poor, sick, widows and fatherless.
.
Paul said that we need to get to a level that they will feel comfortable with us.
.
19) For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more;
20) and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law (he spoke the things that they were familiar with);
21) to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law;
22) to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men that I might by all means save some.
.
I believe if we are wise as serpents, but as tame as doves, we can win people that live on the streets to God. Just as my lady friend, many of them are ripe and ready to harvest. We don't need to look in unsafe environments but, we can ask God to direct them our way and keep our spiritual eyes open for them as we are going about doing things. Some examples are when walking in a park, as they pass your way with or without a shopping cart of bottles, in food banks, etc, We could also go to homeless shelters [with someone or a group accompanying you]; or doors can open through someone coming to church that is from the homeless community. I am sure that you know of other places to reach them. We need to ask Gods anointing and direction re reaching these people.
.
.
Below is 2 excellent recordings that I listened to on Focus on the Family which really made me think about ministering to homeless people..
.
FINDING JESUS ON THE STREETS 1 & 2 :

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/popups/media_player.aspx?Tab=Shows&subcategory=AdventuresInOdyssey&ShowPath=Adventures in Odyssey&broadcastDate=2009-05-27

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/popups/media_player.aspx?Tab=Shows&subcategory=AdventuresInOdyssey&ShowPath=Adventures in Odyssey&broadcastDate=2009-05-27

Mike Yankoski and a friend experienced first hand what it was like living on the streets and wrote the below book. Although I have not seen this book yet, I thought it would give some good pointers on ministering to the homeless.

UNDER THE OVERPASS

A Journey of Faith on the streets of America

by Mike Yankoski

We don't need to go to other countries as missionaries. Our missions are in our own cities/towns. There are people crying out for God every day. It is so important that we are lights to these people who may be in their darkest hours. Preach to me God!!!

May we be lanterns to their paths that will eventually lead them to the Glorious light - JESUS CHRIST through the good news of the Death (repentance), Burial (Baptism) and Resurrection (Newness of Life). May we be a strength to those who are weak and also bless them as God has blessed us with his love and healing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...