Thursday, August 11, 2011

SOME GREAT RECIPES FOR A PICNIC and Link to a Healthy Snack Ideas on FaceBook

.
Today, I saw these 2 awesome recipes, that I would like to share with you, on this site called: Like A Bubbling Brook 

This site has got some great info re healthy recipes and meal plans, edifying things for us woman and other great information. 

It is one of the sites/blogs that I enjoy reading from the links on the Apostolic Bloggers  blog.
.

OVEN BAKED FRIED CHICKEN
.
This is one of my boys’ favorites and they’re always willing to help cook when this is on the menu. Since drumsticks are their favorite, I buy a large package of 10 organic drumsticks and use the leftover drumsticks for family picnics or in their lunchboxes, since this chicken also tastes great cold!

• 2 large eggs
• 1/3 cup buttermilk (or plain kefir)
• 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
• ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 ½ tsp dried oregano, crushed
• 1 tsp paprika
• ½ tsp sea salt
• 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 8-10 chicken drumsticks, skin on
  (or assorted chicken pieces, skin on)
• 3 tbsp butter, melted
.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk. In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Place breadcrumb mixture on a large plate or baking dish to make it easier to dredge the chicken. Dip drumsticks/chicken pieces into egg mixture; then dredge through breadcrumb mixture until well coated.

Place drumsticks/chicken pieces on a well-oiled 12x17-inch baking sheet, making sure pieces don't touch. Use a spoon to drizzle melted butter across top of chicken. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until juice of chicken runs clear when poked with a fork. (Do not turn chicken during baking.) Enjoy!

.
.
GRANDMA'S CULTURED POTATO SALAD
.
I may be a bit bias here, but my Grandma's homemade potato salad has always been one of my favorites. I'm sure she would be proud to know I'm still making it, with just a slight real foodie adjustment – the addition of whole milk yogurt, which provides the health benefits of probiotics, as well as adding a wonderful tangy flavor! Absolutely delicious – the perfect side dish for summer picnics and BBQs!

• 6 cups diced organic red potatoes
  (about 5-6 large red potatoes)
• 2 boiled eggs, diced
• 1-2 stalks of celery, diced
• 1-2 green onions, finely diced
  (include some green parts)
• 1/2 cup plain organic whole milk yogurt
• 1/4 cup mayo
• 1/2 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
• 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
• 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 tsp dried dill weed
• 1/4 tsp garlic powder

In a large stockpot, boil diced potatoes, until fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool to room temperature. (The reason it's important to bring the potatoes to room temp first, before tossing them in the yogurt mixture, is so the live cultures won't be damaged by excessive heat.)
.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add yogurt, mayo, lemon juice, mustard and seasonings. Whisk until well combined. Using a large rubber spatula, fold in the diced boiled eggs, celery and green onion. Place mixture in frig until potatoes are finished cooling.

Once potatoes are room temp, add them to the yogurt mixture and gently fold all ingredients together using a large rubber spatula. Add additional salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Place potato salad in a medium serving bowl and sprinkle top with dried or fresh chopped dill weed (or Italian parsley).

Refrigerate at least two hours, or up to 24-hours, before serving. Serves 4-6. Mmm! A healthy dose of cultures in every delicious bite!

I REALLY want to try these.  

They sound SOOOO  delicious & HEALTHY!!!!

Oh ya, just letting you know that when making your potato salad, try adding some cubed cheese & ham and maybe some sliced radishes & cucumbers.  My dad always does this and I enjoy it this way. . . . You can almost have it as a meal in itself.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl,
I don't know if you got my Instant Message or not, but I wanted you to know that your Email must've been hacked or you have a virus that's Emailing your friends telling them that you are stuck and need money. it advises them to respond to the Email and 'help you out' financially.
I have seen this one before and I deleted it as soon as it came through. But I received it last week.
And by the way... the recipe looks delicious!
Hugs,
Deb

Cherylg said...

Hi Deb.



You are right. It was on Friday. Have let the folks at Hotmail know. Have not been able to get into it or facebook since then. FRUSTRATING.

The person somehow added an alternate email address too. I gave Hotmail the alternate address. Hopefully they will find the culprit.

I had to lock my gmail account as well. Just got back the gmail 2 days ago and my blog yesterday.

I had my friend send an email to everone that I had sent something to to let them know.

Glad you like that recipe. I assume it was the fried chicken. The potato salad looks really good as well. I would like to try them soon.

Blessings.

C

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...