Wednesday, October 12, 2011

LEFTY'S HEFTY CHILI - link to Crock Pot Turkey Chili


Well, Thanks Giving is over in Canada.  It is always nice to reflect on the blessings of God but this holiday really makes you appreciate them.


This year I  got some left over turkey, the organs and drippings; my Chinese friends, my son Shane and myself had a wonderful Thanks Giving meal because of the generosity of my friend. God is good!  I made some delicious bread stuffing out of the drippings, organs, celery, onions fried in butter and seasoned with salt, pepper & sage. We had some tender turkey boiled in some more of the drippings & mushroom soup; some steamed Swiss chard (from my garden) and mixed veggies. The drippings & soup made fantastic gravy for the mashed potatoes! mmmmm


To top it off, we had store bought pumpkin pie and homemade apple-crisp with medium to small green apples which was a blessing from a friends tree - turned out perfect being it was a little tangy with the addition of Breyers vanilla ice cream!


What made it REALLY special is spending it with my son, Tracy & her husband Colin. ♥  Thank the Lord for  family& friends!

A while back, my boss told me about a chili recipe that had cocoa powder as one of its flavorings.  Perfect for the cool days; such as it gets in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. (Because it makes so much, I decided to split it in half. If you decide to double it, it freezes really well.) This chili recipe is from a restaurant in California called "Lefty O'Doul's" He said that it is really tasty, so here it is.

Ingredients: 2 tbsp vegetable oil (Coconut oil is the best for frying anything)
1 large onion
2 large garlic cloves minced (I would put 3 cloves of garlic)
2 pounds of lean beef stewing meat, cut in small cubes - 4 cups (you could probably use lean ground beef)
1.5 pounds of bulk pork sausage - 3 cups (if you don't like pork, try other sausages such as turkey)
1 large can of cubed tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
3 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 small can of baked beans
1 tsp salt (sea salt for me)
1 tsp sugar (brown for me)
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 small can kidney beans drained
1 small can pinto beans drained

In a large heavy sauce pan, heat the oil. Saute the onion and garlic until soft but not brown. Add the beef and sausage and brown. Pour off fat. Add tomatoes, meat mixture, tomato paste, spices, baked beans, salt, sugar and cocoa. Simmer partially covered for 2 hours, stirring often. If mixture becomes too dry add water as it cooks. Stir in the the beans and cook 30 minutes longer or until meat is very tender.
.
Makes about 5 1-cup servings.
.
I think 1 cup of fresh or 1/2 a can of mushrooms and even 1/2 cup of bell peppers cut up would taste great in this. Chili is great on brown rice or brown toast. For that matter, try this on my crepes with shredded cheese on top:

 http://cheryl-g.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-crepe-recipe-link-to-how-crepes-came.html


MY APPLE CRISP RECIPE:


To make the Apple Crisp, I turned on the oven to 375 F. and then greased my large corning ware dish with lots of real butter (I think it is 10" X 10" X 3").  


To begin, I sliced one green apple at a time in segments and cut out the core, peeled each piece, rinsed it in water and placed it in the dish.  Did that until the whole bottom was totally filled with apple.  When that was done I sprinkled the apples with cinnamon, 1/16 inch of cane sugar, a tiny bit of flour and dabbed it with I would say an 1/8 tsp of butter everywhere strategically 2 inches apart.  When that layer was done, I proceeded to do another good size layer of apples & cinnamon (leaving an inch of space left on top for the crumbs). 

To make the crumb mixture, I creamed 1 cup of cane sugar with about 1/3 cup of butter.  Added to that was 1 cup of large flake oats and 1/2 cup of flour.  It was stirred all together until it looked like crumbs and was spread on the apples.  The now full dish was placed in the hot oven to bake for 45 minutes.

Num, Num.  It turned out magnifico and just finished baking when we sat down to eat. 


After I got it in the oven, I made the supper. 


Thank God for my son helping me by picking the Swiss chard and cleaning up a bit. 

PS:  Check out this AWESOME no bake pumpkin pie recipe :

          http://cheryl-g.blogspot.com/2011/03/pumpkin-fluff-pie-link-to-never-fail.html

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...