Monday, April 6, 2009

GOING ON A DIET?: Controlling Food Cravings - LINK

.
DIET . . .
.
A SCARY WORD when you think of it as a diet but, if you think of it as a way of eating then it might be easier to fulfill your desire to become a new person physically & emotionally. . .
As I was checking out some stuff on "Windows Live Today", I came across an article on "How to Stop Cheating on Diets" which brought me to another article on controlling cravings. A part of its words I found really helpful to me as I start on my road to getting the pounds off . . .
.
Move On After A Mistake
.
OK, you overindulged. What's the next step? "Forget about it," says James Newman, a nutritionist at Tahlequah City Hospital, in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, who followed his own advice to shed 300 pounds (That's right, three hundred). "One meal doesn't define your diet, so don't assume that you've failed or fallen off the wagon," he says. Institute a simple rule: Follow any "cheat" meal with at least five healthy meals and snacks. That ensures that you'll be eating right more than 80 percent of the time.
.
I have heard through my travels that if you eat small portions of fruits/nuts through the day, you will have less hunger cravings. The below link talks about snacking at work:
.
.
I came across this website on this women who lost a ton of weight and I thought you'd like to see it as it is very inspiring:
.
.
THE BELOW DIETING RULES WERE BRAINSTORMED BY MY FRIENDS DIANNE, CAREN & MYSELF AND BY WHAT I'VE READ OR HEARD OVER THE YEARS. I HOPE THEY WILL HELP YOU AS THEY WILL HELP ME TO LOSE THE MUCH NEEDED POUNDS AND TO KEEP IT OFF!!!
.
.1. Drink plenty of water during the day (6 at least) and a large glass of water before you eat (will flush a lot of toxins out).
.2. Take a small plate for your main meal so that you don't over load food intake.

.3. Replace starches with vegetables for your main course meal.

.4. Eat starches during breakfast and lunch replacing 1/2 of your starches with low fat yogurt or fruit/veggies.

.5. Eat only 3 eggs a week (egg whites have no cholesterol).

.6. Make it a goal to eat main meal before 6:30 p.m. to give your body time to digest before sleep (calories are burnt when awake).

.7. Cut out fatty meats such processed meats, pork sausages and wieners.

.8. No deep fried foods (Cut out as much butter/margarine and oils as possible).

.9. Eat less ham/bacon and salty meats (salt causes water retention & high blood pressure).

10. Eat more poultry/fish and legumes (beans and such).

11. Eat lots of foods/drinks that are high in antioxidants such as green tea**, pomegranates, prunes, raisins, blue berries, strawberries, kale, spinach, beets broccoli, brussel sprouts, Avocados, etc. & extra virgin olive oil.** (I just found out on the Internet to stay away from kale if you have thyroid problems.)

12. Get your thyroid gland checked as it could be one of the reasons for weight gain or for other health issues!!!

**Check these websites out:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/foods-rich-iodine.htm

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/natural-foods-high-in-iodine.php

Sometimes tests don't even show if your thyroid is functioning properly; therefore, you don't realize that you are lacking iodine in your diet. A lady I know was just told by a doctor to get more iodine in her diet to help her loose weight.

NO STARCHES AFTER 6:30 p.m. . 12. Try having fruit/veggies/1/2 cup of low fat yogurt or a smoothie before bed. . Recipe: In blender blend 4 ice cubes. ........1 banana or other fruit. ........1 cup of skim/1% milk or juice. ........ENJOY!!! . SPEEDING UP YOUR METABOLISM: . .1. Walk up stairs (one flight at first) instead of elevator. **Walk where ever possible** . .2. Park your car farther away from destination so you must walk. . .3. Speed walk/jog/bike-ride (anything physical) at least 3/4 hour per day or it must work out to be 5 1/4 hours per week (work up a sweat!). **Exercise at least 2 hours before bed (you'll sleep better)** . .4. Go play a fun sport such as tennis, volley ball, soccer etc. with your friends. Recipe: 1/3 apple cider vinegar to 2/3 virgin olive oil ........sprinkle to taste with: ........oregano/basil/thyme/dill weed/garlic. ........cayenne(spicy-very little)

........**cayenne is good for circulation**

........or buy Salad/Italian Herb Seasoning.

........Pour on salad as needed. .

9 comments:

Jessica deLeeuw said...

That's great Cheryl dean!! Soo true.. I drink a lot of green tea and I notice the metabolism change!! Also did you know that if you put any amount of sweetner, sugar, or honey in the green tea.. it totally nullifies the effects of it?!? I cut the sweetners out and now I've grown accustom to the strong bitter taste of green tea.. I love it now!! I actually go to the T&T market and buy the fresh leaves and let them steep for hours. Yes I love it!!!

Cherylg said...

Thanks Jessie. I think I will go get some of those tea leaves.

Just to let you know that there's this place on 10th street & Kensington Road NW called Oolong Teahouse (I think) which has a lot of bulk teas. Try it out if you haven't already.

Luv ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl! Thanks for your encouragement on my blog. So do you go to the Kings' church? Sis. King is one of my mom's really good friends. Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and say hi. By the way, I read Amy's blog from time to time already. Small world, huh? Oh also, there's a guy, Jeremy, from our church who is living there and going to that church temporarily...
Hope to chat with you again!
Bethany

Cherylg said...

Yes I go to Sis' Judy Kings church.What does Jeremy look like and what church do you go to? I can't remember. Did you write to Aimy? Have you checked out the baby fat blog? I haven't yet but will probably next week.

Lately I've been getting these e-mails from this diet program that seems to play tricks on your body with high protein, low fats & carbs for 3 days or so and then you alter. Not exactly but something like that; then he talks about working out right after you wake up, before you eat breakfast, giving about 75% of your strength. I guess this affects your metabolism in a positive way. Then he has mentioned about a power work out in 10 minute intervals. I forget how many of these through the day you do but, it's suppose to make a difference. I am going to have to read these e-mails more thoroughly but, they kind of make sense when I was reading them. Would you like me to send them to you. Today, I thought I would start trying to exercise when I get up for work while I am brushing my teeth, hair and getting dressed by jogging on the spot. Also, I am going to air in my tires of my bike and ride it to work. It takes about 10 minutes to get to work from my house when I am riding at a good pace. When I walk quickly, it takes 20 minutes. I just hope I can keep this up and make it a habit. Also, I am trying to follow the things I mentioned in the blog re food intake and green tea. By the way I have read that pure coacoa is suppose to be high in antioxidants. I am just wandering how I could actually enjoy it with less sugar and milk in it. I once heard this guy talking about eating cocoa beans. He said they really made him feel good and full of energy. I should look into that. Anyways, I'm trying to think differently about food intake. Maybe I can get back to my proper weight and stay there if I become conscience about what I eat all the time. I'm sure my body would eventually crave only healthy things. This will be quite interesting & challenging most of all for me as I have not really seriously changed my diet. Here goes!!! got to go. God Bless. Have a wonderful Easter!!!!

Jason said...

Hey Cheryl
I am commenting as I promised I would when I again had access to the internet. Quite a pleasant blog you have set-up for yourself to capture your thoughts, perceptions, ideas, philosophies and artistic intricacies. Great site! See you in church!
-Jason

Cherylg said...

Thanks Jason. Did you check some of the links; such as some history about black schools in the USA, inventions, Transit history and the one showing about writing materials. I just thought it would give another aspect to my blog. I think I like adding links to my various articles.

PS I have been enjoying seeing the pics of you and Jessie. I can't wait till the big day; even though I won't witness it!!! I am looking forward to seeing the live videos. I am so excited!!!

Newman said...

How's the diet going? Best Wishes, Keep your eyes on Christ.

James Newman

Cherylg said...

Hi James. My way of eating is not going very good. I have been blowing it with chocolate and other goodies. I'm going to have to get back on track quickly!!! I've been riding my bike more though. I decided to just buy bus tickets instead of a bus pass causing me to ride the bike or walk more. I am wanting to join a Spa Lady. Are you on any special diet?

Thanks for checking out my blog site. I hope you enjoy my writings. Right now I am working on an article about speaking in tongues as the gift of the spirit and the gift of tongues. It's taking some time because I want to be wise about what I write.

Got to go. Take care. God Bless.

Cherylg

Newman said...

I am glad that my quote on diet meant something to you. The thing we have to remember is not to slash our tires when it comes to diet. Just as one meal doesn't define our diet neither does one poor experience. Suppose for a moment you are driving to work or school. You get a flat. Your most likely going to get out and change it or call someone to help you. Either way, you change the tire and get back on course. You may just arrive a little late, but you get there nonetheless. The moral of the story is that you wouldn't upon discovering the flat tire, slash your other 3 tires, would you? I think not. But don't we do that when we indulge in chocolate, or something that isn't part of our diet and then follow it with similar mistakes? Its like we tell ourselves, ok, we messed up, the whole day is done, I will have to start over tomorrow. That mentality doesn't do anything for us. So, don't slash your tires, keep at it and you'll get there.

My diet and exercise are going well. I am training for a triathlon and half-marathon. My patients keep me busy though. Hope you have a good week. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

James Newman

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...